Thursday 26 June 2014

Gladdon

A break from rants for a picture of one of my favourite British wildflowers, Gladdon (Iris foetidissima, also known as Wild Iris or Stinking Iris).   Unlike may of its garden cousins the flowers have such subtle colours, a real beauty.




The plant itself is common and easily found along the North Downs but seeing it in flower is more difficult.  It usually has three or four flowers on a stem but usually each only opens for a day especially in hot weather.  I noticed this particular plant growing in dense scrub on Park Downs on Monday with the first bud just opening, by today all but one flower was going over. 

5 comments:

  1. Victoria Aagaard24 July 2014 at 23:34

    Hi John,

    I'd love to speak with you about a Plant Specialty Position within my company. It is a work-from-home position. We are a technology company so the work can be done from anywhere as long as there is reliable internet. Please email me at: victoria@tagpics.net.

    I look forward to speaking with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    like your blog

    I live and work in Banstead

    Banstead is busy city

    I am working as Man With Van in Banstead


    Man Van Banstead


    I have big van and its clean and i have lot of straps and blanks to protect your stuff.

    I am hard working and help with loading and unloading too.

    So if you need help with moving please remember my website

    http://www.removalsmanvanhire.com/man-van-hire-banstead.html

    Call 07894536780

    I can provide Moving Boxes - I have Tool Box i can disassemble furniture or washing machine etc

    Removal Van Banstead Removals Van Banstead Removal Company Banstead Man with Van Banstead Moving Company Banstead Moving Home Banstead Moving Help Banstead man and van Banstead flat removals Banstead, House removals Banstead, small removals Banstead, man with van hire Banstead,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check online India discussion boards Best India discussion boards, blog discussion forum, television online India forum, free online group discussion more discuss all type community

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed this particular plant growing in dense scrub on Park Downs on Monday with the first bud just opening, by today all but one flower was going over.

    ReplyDelete